Sunday, January 4, 2009

We made it...

Just a quick post to let everyone know that we made it to Rochester. It was kinda hairy on I35 where we saw probably over 60 cars and trucks in the ditch or jacknifed. We saw several rollovers and some nasty looking crashes to boot. We pulled over at the right time last night, as it appears that the conditions got a lot worse and people didn't realize it until it was too late. I figured when we got gas outside of Omaha and I almost fell on my butt in the parking lot that it was a sign. It would have said something like "If you keep going, you are a total idiot." You know something subtle like that.

Anyhow, we did about 400 miles today and it was overall a little slower, but no major stoppages, so our time per mile was probably similar to yesterday. We arrived in Rochester at about 5:30 or so local time. Our hotel is ok, nothing great. We were a bit spoiled last night in a brand new Embassy suites with two high def flatscreens and a separate living area. This place doesn't even have a fridge.


Heidi said something tonight that hit me pretty hard as we were having dinner in a restaurant where we were probably half the average age in the place. "Old people don't know how good they have it." The idea being that though they may be here at the Mayo clinic for some reason, that they can at least walk around, and do everything that most of us take for granted every moment. None of them looked very happy with anything. Yet, they can do things...things like walking in, sitting down, flipping through the menu, picking up a fork and eating...etc. They also got to see their kids grow up and get married, maybe have grandkids etc. As I sit there doing all those thing for Heidi, and she sits there needing them done, I get her perspective.

It got me thinking a bit about the difference between enjoying life and "having a good time." I think kids have a great time. They play, they laugh, they gigle and play some more. It is pure and it is fully in the moment. They are enjoying THEMSELVES. Enjoying life, to me, is a bit different. It seems like enjoying life is a bit less in the moment and more reflective and conscious. Almost like something to can choose to do rather than just do. This life, everyday you have with your friends, your family, your kids and even yourself is a gift. You can choose to do with it what you might choose to do with any gift this holiday season. Hold it in your arms, cherish it, touch it, talk about it, feel lucky to have it...or you can choose to roll your eyes, wonder why you didn't get something else, wish for more, or even throw it away. I'm sure I've done all those things at one time or another, not only the good stuff, but also not recognizing the value in something, or a sentiment that was behind it even though it may have missed the mark in some material way.

Anyhow, it's getting late here, sorry to get so philosophical. I don't think the above thoughts are written very well, but i'm tired. I hope you get what I mean. Meanwhile, I'm going to go cherish my gift for another night. Hold her and give thanks that I have her now.

Then, I'm going to get up at 5:30 tomorrow am and go see some Drs.
Peace, B.

2 comments:

  1. Bill, you took my breath away. Its so true. I wish you both a good start at Mayo tomorrow. Heidi, I hope they dont prod you too much my darling. Thank you so much for keeping us in touch with you both. Sweet dreams together tonight. Kate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bill & Heidi, some of the most profound insights come from the most difficult circumstances. I don't think I could add much to your comments about "Enjoying Life vs. Having a Good Time", other than - I couldn't agree more and that it really made me think about the spirit of it all.

    So glad to hear you made it safely to Rochester. On the way back, maybe you can make a mini vacation out of it by stopping by to see Paul Bunyan and Babe, The Blue Ox. Just a thought, dontcha know.

    Cat's Ass.

    ReplyDelete